Monday, February 25, 2013

Birds Flying High // You Know How I Feel


Good tidings I bring!

Sierra shot from school
I tend to love February: everyone is back and recovered from break, schedules are more concrete, everything seems to have its rhythm.  I even love Valentine’s Day.  Though that’s mainly because it’s the day before my birthday and so it makes chocolate and candy super cheap just in time to celebrate.   Unfortunately it’s still as chilly as ever. On the bright side, the snow capped Sierras are stunning even though they engulf the city in its icy embrace.  

So far this February has also been fabulous.

January I started my second job teaching in Chauchina on Tuesdays and Thursday after I’m done in Santa Fe. And now I feel more in control. They are exhausting days, but I usually can’t help but smile by the end of it.  Plus with all this extra teaching experience, I’m discovering that I don’t actually want to teach English. It’s perfect for right now, polishing skills, and enabling me to see Spain….but it doesn’t seem to be what I’m looking for long-term. Or at least Spain isn’t. Realizing that is half the battle, but it’s frustrating to keep running into walls. 23 is young (I repeat every morning). I have time to find that thing that clicks, but having a blindfold certainly impedes the process. 

Can't wait to meet my niece Sofie when I go back
That being said, I’ve started the job search in the States. Went through the first couple stages of interviews for one company, but didn’t make the cut in the end.  I’ve got my eye on something in DC, but I have to wait until I’m closer to coming home to pursue it. Not having ambitions really puts a damper on finding direction. My ultimate goal is really to just be a cog. I’m not an entrepreneur. I don’t have big exciting ideas. I just want to find my niche and then do it well and consistently. I want to build relationships and invest in community. My passions can pretty much transplant anywhere.  Anyways my future is perched in the air. I’ll let you know when something tips. 

February has been more tranquil than the previous months. I haven’t travelled anywhere since Christmas. But the plane tickets I recently bought more than make up for my sedentary life.  During Semana Santa, I’M GOING TO EYGPT! For those of you who don’t know and may think I’m crazy for traversing a country so riddled with political unrest, several  (seven in fact) of my friends are interning in Cairo. They assure me their experience is not the type that would make headlines.  So off I go! I’m so pumped to see them. Two of them were previous housemates, and the others I’ve known all throughout college.  Anyways my indulgent birthday present took a chunk out of the bank account so it looks like I’ll be kicking around Granada for the next month too.

Surprised
As for my actual birthday, it was very chill. I picked up a paycheck and got Thai (Spain styled) for lunch with a co-worker. Then I spent the rest of the day shopping. Later that night when I was snuggled up with a book Daniela, Caro, and Noemi surprised me with an almond encrusted, raspberry filled cake. D to the E to the li-ih-ih-ihhhhCIOUS. After the sugarbomb I  showed them the wonderful cards my parents sent me. Starting from the end of January to the day of my parents, but specifically my mom, sent me 23 birthday cards, one for every birthday. She wrote anecdotes from the years and sent old family photos along. Then on my birthday my dad sent me a card specifically from him and that was pretty special too. I loved it. Getting mail is exciting in and of itself, but getting mail when you’re abroad is 10x better.  So by the time Feb 15th rolled around I felt like I had been celebrating for two weeks.  

Groom and Bride
Birthday celebrations were eclipsed though because the next day was Angel and Gisella’s wedding!! Ain't no wedding like a Spanish wedding ‘cuz Spanish weddings don’t stop. But srsly.  I got there early to help decorate a bit about 5pm (the wedding started close to 6 pm) and I came home around 3 am.  What? The ceremony was Spanish but not Catholic.  Outside underneath a canopy, there were no bridesmaids or best men. Friends and family all crowded around to see the bride come up the patio.  The ring bearer came up after the bride and groom sat in chairs in front of the pastor.  After they signed and said “yo quiero” they immediately greeted practically every single guest with besitos. Then, and only then, were they whisked away while we enjoyed a cocktail hour, two, or three. After the ceremony time just flew out the window. I do think the dinner course started somewhere around 9pm. Before midnight the groom made a speech (no toasts here) and around 1am or 2am we played some games.  I think it didn’t end too much later after we shuffled out saying our goodbyes to the bride and groom. 

Caro about to get me back from all those "missed" punches
The only plans I have for the rest of February is to read read read!! I did a throwback and read the Uglies series (2005) by Scott Westerfeld, not amazing but still fun. I always love a good Dystopian. Now on the slot I have Game of Thrones, The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and Behind the Beautiful Forevers. Hopefully I can knock out at least two of those in the  next week. I'm trying to make up for my lack of reading in January.

2013 continues to keep my spirits high.With work and Raíces getting into full swing I have to force myself to be on top of things if I don't want to get too overwhelmed. My raging procrastination skills keep nipping at my heels. But I'd much rather be running around like chicken with its head cut off than a frog not noticing its in a boiling pot. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

No comments:

Post a Comment