Thursday, March 14, 2013

Snapshots

Do you ever have those moments when you realize you're an extra in someone else's (metaphorical) movie? I love them. Usually I'm just walking down the street and I see a quick scene of someone's life as I'm walking by. It pulls me out of my head. The soundtrack switches and the camera pans from me to them. 

Like yesterday I was walking down the street, looking down, trying to avoid dog poop and I see my path is clear for a while so I look up. Then there, coming barreling down the street is a father and his son. They both have massive smiles on their faces, the father's hair blowing from running, and his protective hand behind his son who is pedaling  furiously on his bike that is precariously supported with training wheels. It was just one of those moments, the universal kinds, the ones everyone hopes to have and to give.  Its the type of moment that grows and has roots and you know even if that kid doesn't think about it later, it was something that is creating who he is.

Another one I noticed was when I was in Almeria a couple months back. I was in line waiting to get on the bus to go back to Granada after visiting Cathy and Lindsay and I notice this couple about my age. Usually I tend avert my eyes when I notice couples because the give away sign is them making out (Spain loves its PDA). But no, he just lightly held her elbow, not quite ready for her to go yet. When she got on the bus they were so peaceful. No big show or tearful goodbyes, just a simple happy kiss. Once on the bus, they gazed contentedly at each other through the window. When we started leaving everyone else walked away, but he lingered a little longer. He waved, made a heart shape with his hands, and turned to go. But what I loved was that he couldn't help but to look back. Again its that movie moment, "if they look back they love me!" I know its a silly thing,  one of those tropes that get taken out of proportion yet here it was. He walked some more and then looked back, walked and kept trying to catch that last glance until she was out of sight. I like that happy quiet love.

Eventually the camera focuses back on me, staring at the rolling landscapes, olive trees rising and falling or I'm just walking the same cobblestoned path past the river returning to my apartment, but my thoughts linger. I'm not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment